Guest Post from Presented By: Amanda Winstead
What’s one practice your 21st-century business can’t do without?
Our answer is data collection.
Gathering customer data, in particular, can help you hone your customer service strategy, better your sales techniques, and improve the marketing experience you’re providing to your customers.
We’ll talk specifically about the connection between customer data and the marketing experience in this article. When you collect data about your customers, you can make huge strides in your marketing strategy.
For example, you can create content that resonates with them and drives conversions. You can tailor your digital channel experiences to guide them to the next step of the customer journey. You can also learn about your repeat customers and create a specific marketing strategy for customer retention.
Read on for more about improving your customers’ marketing experiences with data.
Grow What You Know About Your Customers
Better marketing experiences come when you know your customers. In addition, because their needs, wants, and desires will evolve, you must continue learning about your customers to make effective changes to your marketing strategy.
For instance, let’s say you collected data on your customers’ content consumption today. You learn they’re educating themselves on sustainability more and interacting with brands that highlight this value.
You can then start showcasing your business’s commitments to sustainability in your marketing content. You could also send your customers sustainable marketing swag, sweatshirts made from ethically-sourced materials, or notebooks created from recycled products to show the depth of your sustainability commitments.
Use your analytics tools to collect the following data to learn about your audience continually:
- What are my target audience’s current values? Have they changed since the last set of data?
- Which digital channels are my target audience using the most?
- How has their engagement on social media evolved?
- Which media and content types are my target audience consuming regularly?
- How many visitors are interacting with my brand for the first time? How many visitors are recurring?
- How does my target audience make purchases today?
- Are there any noteworthy changes to the customer journey?
- Is there any new demographic information about my target audience?
Customer data can also help you ensure your marketing efforts spread throughout the entire customer journey.
Ensure Your Marketing Efforts Extend to the Entire Customer Journey
Each of your customers will experience their relationship with your business differently. However, generally, they’ll move through the following stages with your business:
- Connection- how they’re introduced to your business
- Cultivation- the relationship starts to develop between you and the potential customer
- Consideration- they’re considering all solutions to their challenge, including your business
- Conversion- they choose your business’s product/service as their solution
- Continuation- how the relationship continues after the first purchase
For your customers to have the best experience with your business, you must ensure your marketing efforts extend to the entire customer journey. By collecting customer data on how various people move through their buyer’s journey with your business, you can learn what’s necessary marketing-wise to aid the journey.
Be sure to implement a data collection strategy that uses artificial intelligence tools. You’ll be able to collect vast data sets better and accurately filter the data. From there, you can analyze the information, extract valuable insights from it, and use those insights to improve how you market to your customers at each stage of the buyer’s journey.
You can also create better content and learn the best ways to share it with your particular audience with customer data.
Create Better Content and Learn Best Practices for Sharing it
One of the best ways to boost your marketing efforts is to create original content and share it with your target audience in their favorite places.
By collecting customer data on the kind of content your customer consumes, the platforms they consume it on, and how they best absorb the information, your content creation and distribution methods will work with your target audience more often.
Use your data collection tools to gather the following information about your customers and content and improve the content marketing experience:
- Comments left and the quality of them
- What content is attracting new customers
- Which CTAs are driving the most conversions
- What content is resonating with current customers
- If re-purposing content is working with your target audience
- If your visuals and videos are a factor in driving conversions
- How often your content is shared over various digital channels
- Which digital channels your customers engage with your content the most on
So many marketers focus most of their strategy on attracting new customers. This is a mistake because most of your business will come from current customers. Gathering data on repeat customers can help you create a marketing strategy specific to customer retention efforts.
Use your data analytics tools to collect information on repeat customers, like:
- Why repeat customers love your brand
- How repeat customers make purchases
- How the buyer’s journey differs for repeat customers
- What the most popular products are among repeat customers
- Demographics that are different from the rest of your customers
- Which marketing strategies and tactics attract repeat customers
- How repeat customers prefer to be rewarded for continuous purchases
You can create marketing content that speaks directly to your repeat customers with data like the above. You can also make better use of the digital marketing channels they frequent. Furthermore, you can create a loyalty program that rewards customers in the ways you’ve learned they like to be rewarded and use this as an additional platform to drive customer retention.
The fastest and most efficient way to improve marketing experiences is to collect customer data and use what you learn to make productive adjustments to your strategies, techniques, and tactics. Use the tips above to help you collect accurate data about your customers and modify your marketing to favor them.